Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Gelatin Experiment

While I was still pregnant with Maddy, I bought a book on games to play with babies. The other day, I was thumbing through it and came upon a game to play with jello. It is supposed to enhance their exploration skills. Now the book says the game is appropriate for three to six months; however, I was still concerned whether or not it was safe for her, because she is strictly breastfed and I will not introduce solids for at least another month. So I searched the internet for any information and yielded very disappointing results. In other words, I could not find a definitive answer on whether or not it was okay for her to play with this stuff. The next thing I did was to check out my books on infant nutrition. Yet again I was met with no information.

To be safe, I called my pediatrician's office and spoke to a nurse. She'd never heard of anything like it. The main concern she expressed was the sugar content of the jello. I told her that I was using unflavored gelatin (I am aware that one shouldn't give their baby any sweets/fruits until seven to eight months of age). The conclusion was it is okay as long as there was sugar.

Tim filmed the gelatin experiment and provided his profound wit as usual. Enjoy.

2 comments:

dopel said...

Steve says Melisa is having WAY too much fun playing with Maddy!! We love these videos and play them over and over

sanctus.liberalis said...

Looks like fun. She looks so confused at the end. :)