Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Embryo to perfection in 3 easy steps

Photobucket
As a regular preacher, I'm sure family stories and anecdotes will make their way into my messages from time to time. I think I've been reasonable about the frequency so far (I only remember one previous personal anecdote off the top of my head). I usually don't care for it too much when I hear a preacher use a lot of personal stories. Sometimes it makes it sound like they are always on vacation or going to the movies, etc. So I'm a little bit wary because a few people have said they really enjoyed Sunday's message on our baby. Well, the baby was not the message, of course. But I know how the parts we enjoy best seem to stick out strongest in our memories. ("Oh Father, I loved your sermon about the chicken who crossed the road. It was hilarious.") It's the same for me ("I can't believe he preached on the Matrix.")

The message was that we are God's children and he has set before us the way of the blessed life (i.e., keeping his covenant and his commandments, or "practicing our faith"). The other way ends in destruction. If we are to move on to maturity in Christ, we must endeavor to follow his will.

The baby part was the motif, talking about growing up in general and growing up in our Christian walk in particular. Overall, I think it worked well. Have a listen and see what you think. (Sorry about the poor audio quality, btw. I think the recorder was too close.) Click here to listen to my sermon on the two ways, titled "A blessing and a curse," from 1 June 2008.

4 comments:

dopel said...

I had just listened to the sermon before clicking onto this blog. I enjoyed it----I pray your little one is all you want her to be. I know you and Melisa are wonderful parents already.

Coppermouse Dolls said...

I personally loved the part about the chicken. Just kidding, hon. :P

sanctus.liberalis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sanctus.liberalis said...

People tend hear only what they want to and tune everything else out. I always enjoy your sermons even if I don't say it every time. I just wish it was easier for the sermons to be heard at the altar.